The plans for this boat are free on the internet at:

South Haven Dory

Its' my fault. When we put the gu'nales on Nick did ask about the oarlocks, but I didn't pay any attention. So now the oarlocks are an add-on instead of a built in. We decided to use Thole pins instead of oar locks since so far there is no metal in this boat.

We started off by setting the oars at the approximate angle that they would be at when rowing.

Then we transferred that angle to a piece of cherry. At least that's what my neighbor said it was, sections of cherry flooring, but it sure looks like mahogany to me. Either way it's a hard wood that I hope will wear well during rowing.

.

In order to attach it to the gu'nale we made these blocks to fit in between the spacer blocks.

.

Then notched the cherry (or what ever). Hopefully when epoxied the boat this arrangement will be strong enough to take the strain of oars.

Dry fit.

.

Looks like the angle is close.

.

The Thole pin installed.  The pin is made of the Cherry wood.  I drilled the hole all the way through the gu'nale and the hull.  This picture makes it look as if it continues through the hull, but it doesn't, It's fish-mouthed and fits snug against the hull.

.

Just tap on the exposed bottom end of the pin to drive it out.  The holes were drilled to the pin would be perpendicular to the oar while rowing.  The down side os that is that the bottom of the pins is both inside and outside the boat.  There may not be enough meat to hold the pins.  If not We'll have to go back and reinforce this area.

.

The oar about where it will be when rowing.

.

.We drilled a hole up from the bottom, and then cross drilled it.  The line that keeps the Thole pin from going astray is knotted and pulled into the cross drilled hole then through the hole and tied to the gu'nale.

.

The Thole pin inserted

.

The Thole pin stored where it will be for transport.

.

NEXT THE SKEG

Back