The plans for this boat are free on the internet at:

South Haven Dory

.

We cut a rabbit in the outer gu'nale so that it would cover the outside seam of the plywood .

.

End view of the port gu'nale at the bow .

.

Top view of the gu'nale showing how it covers the plywood

.

Starboard side gu'nale clamped up.

.

We wrapped each of the blocks in cling wrap. It keeps the blocks from being glued to the boat.

.

After putting on the outside rail, we made 2" blocks for the inside spacers. Here they are buttered up and ready for installation

.

Using a cling wrapped block as a template, we clamped the spacers to the inside of the gu'nale.

.

.

The spacers clamped up on the port side

.

You can just see the step on the first block where the breasthook will go

.

The spacer blocks glued in place. The fore most block has a lip that the breasthook will glue to.

.

The blocks glued to the starboard side,and the cap rails being spliced up.

.

After we spliced them, we found out that we should have used a shallower angle for the splice.

.

Nick is happy after gluing the cap rail to the starboard side blocks.

.

We ran out of conventional clamps so the PVC clamps came in handy. The PVC clamps had to be tripled up in order to provide the clamping force necessary for the cap rail.

.

The starboard cap rail glued up.

.

Here is one of the splices on the cap rail. The blocks are 2" wide with 2" between them. If we would have used 3 or 4" blocks, it would have required fewer clamps.

.

The caprails on both sides

.

The caprails seem rather awkward where they meet the transom.

.

NEXT THE SEAT

THE THOLE PINS

THE SKEG

Back